It’s Holiday Season again! All around the world people will be celebrating winter holidays like Pongal, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Thaipusam, and of course, bringing in the New Year (Jan 1st, 2015). If you’re searching for the perfect dress to show off your beautiful brown skin tone, what better way to sparkle than wear sequins!
Mindy Kaling – writer, comedian, star of her hit show The Mindy Project, and absolutely fabulous brown skinned fashionista embraces sequins as well as chunky jewelry and bright colors. Where many women of color will shy away from these kinds of bold moves, at Cinnamon Spirit we think you should be the shining star of the party! Mindy agrees “I wear all of those things, because I like looking at it. It makes me feel happy and excited to wear it.” In the photo below, she wears a beautiful dress and skirt combination. This scene was from the Pilot Episode of The Mindy Project, and to be honest she looks gorgeous! I love that the kind of sequin pattern on top is so much different than the metallic embellishment on her skirt. From far away, it looks like a dress, but when you look closely we find that Mindy has connected the 60s disco-ball and the Victorian Era in the best of ways. While Mindy’s outfit does technically break the mixing-prints rule in fashion, it is a definitely haute look that I think any brown woman could pull off.
Anouksha, 21 fashion blogger from the United Kingdom has found a way to glitter during finals week. Here, she wears a black bomber jacket from H&M, black stockings, and casual tan booties from MissGuided. Paired with her gorgeous vintage flapper, and stuffed bagpack, she get’s an A+ for style.
I found another stunning gold and black sequin dress from BeBe while looking for my own sequined New-Years-Me Dress. I can’t tell what is more radiant, the model’s deep brown skin or her dress. I’m too focused on how happy she looks while twirling around in it!
So maybe, you’re working for the holidays. You can still bring your briefcase of glitter with you! Katerina L., a 27 year old from Voronezh, Russia wears her sequins subtly. This outfit is a perfect day to night outfit that can be worn at lunch with friends, and then again at office party. Her sweater is also from H&M and her skirt is from Mango. She and her skirt, look delicious.My personal favorite is an Etsy Legend worn by a beautiful Indian Model, Menaka Iyer. She is 23 and from Toronto, Canada. I’m sure once you see this dress, you’ll be dying to have it. She wore this vintage, one of a kind dress to New York City for the first time. “I had my first mimosa in NYC – Dream come true!” Menaka says excitedly. Although I couldn’t find the dress’s link, I did find that her feather earrings are from Spring and her muted (but also black sparkly heels) are from Nine West. Obviously not many of us can afford to splurge and spend thousands of dollars on a holiday dress (we’re too busy getting presents for our friends and family), so I’ve compiled a few under $50 options:
Stay tuned to see what sparkles I picked for my holiday dress! Stay warm this season my brown-skinned beauties!
If you are like me… you want to find those unique treasures that aren’t commonly found everywhere. When it comes to clothing, it is especially true. So when I was searching for Indian clothing, my niece introduced me to UDD.
As a supporter of vibrant colors and textures, I find Yuti Shah’s creations fascinating.
Her ability to bring her original fine art to life in every day wear that brings a smile to the people wearing it is contagious. I guess that is what I admire the most.
Her depiction of animals in the forest …. wonder what this would look like as a mural.
Name: Ishra Ella Noor, “Ella” Age: 21 years Heritage: Indian Occupation: Full time student studying Environmental Geoscience and Political Science at Purdue University and Barista at Starbucks
Why did you decide to join the Cinnamon Spirit team? Cinnamon Spirit finally highlights a beautiful asset that I’ve known exists my whole life – dark skin. As soon as I heard about this initiative I just knew I had to be a part of it.
How would you like to help Cinnamon Spirit?
I’ll be routinely posting tips and tricks for beauty, fashion, recipes, and tailoring them specifically to highlight the beauty of dark-skinned women. After all, the fact that we can actually pull off mustard-yellow is a feat on its own.
Who are some of your style icons? In terms of fashion, I have to say I’m a huge fan of Giuliana Rancic. I love how classy she is but still has a razor sharp edge to her style, and a killer smile to sport around with that dark golden skin matches every outfit.
Plans for the future? “I really want to help people. I’d love to incorporate what I’ve been studying in college to do this. I would love to pursue Natural Disaster Recovery or Hazard Mitigation. I’d also be really excited to have my own art gallery one day!”
Welcome aboard, Ella! We’re glad to have you here at Cinnamon Spirit!
1. Short sleeved shirts and ties do not go together : The NASA control room look may come back in the future but it is not happening right now. This look is a definite no no for business.
2. Own a two button jacket that fits well: This is a must have for work and semi casual occasions. Remember to button up at all times other than when you are seated.
3. Bow ties plus a shot of confidence: We are for this traditional look but in today’s world you need a shot of confidence to pull this off. Ladies do like bow ties
4. Match your tie with the width of your lapel: If your lapel is wide, go for a wider ties and vice-versa if narrow. Mixing a narrow tie with a wide lapel is a no no.
5. Your belt should match your shoes in color and texture : When buying shoes, consider investing in matching belts. Mixing these colors can be tricky, unless you are planing on wearing something funky for fun.
6. Big baggie pants make you look short: Do not wear them unless you want to look shorter
7. Trousers should be long enough: They should be long enough so they cover the top of your shoes and do not expose your socks. It’s only when you are seated, should your socks be visible.
8. Socks should match your pants: When buying pants, try to match your socks to pants in other hues. That way, when you remove your shoes or are seated, your socks blend with your pants and don’t break up the ensemble.
9. Ties should reach your belt buckle: It has become more common for men to wear ties longer than the belt buckle but this is the most desirable length. Anything shorter would seem sloppy.
Finding a suitable foundation that works for our skin tone can be tricky. Here are some tips for you to find something you love wearing everyday. The idea is to match your skin tone and give it a smooth, natural look.
Test 3 shades that you think will work on your jawline. Resist the urge to blend and wait five minutes for it to settle.
If you have oily skin, go one shade lighter
If you have dry skin or wrinkles, powders can accentuate this problem.
When using a foam foundation, shake well, pump a quarter-size blob into your palm, then stipple it onto your face with a damp sponge. This will keep the bubbles intact till it gets to your skin and spreads evenly.
When in doubt, look for warmer bronze shades to avoid the ashy look.
We’ve included the price of these products so you can go out and experiment with what suits you.